1. Find yourself a cap woth a good colour in the background. I chose this one of Julian Sark from Alias.
2. Resize it to 60 x 60 and make sure you have quite a bit of background showing.
3. Then create a new raster layer (Go to the Layer Palette then Layers > New Raster) and use the fill tool to fill it with #FFFFFF then set it to Color.
4. Now use the freehand tool and cut out the background.
5. Use this texture (no clue who it's by?) and set it to Screen. Use the freehand tool to cut out any bits covering the icons subject (in this case, Sark.)
6. Now take this texture by colorfilter and resize it to 60x60.
7. Set it to screen and cut out the peices covering the icons subject.
8. Now take this, paste as a new layer and set it to Overlay.
9. Duplicate the layer and set it to Normal, 35 % Opacity. Merge All.
10. Make a new 100x100 image and paste the other image on a new layer in the top right hand corner.
11. Paste this by colorfilter on as a new layerand set to Muliply.
12. Paste this on (no idea who it's by) and set it to color and cut out the small image from earlier.
13. I then added text and a text brush by chouchoune (I think).
I'd love to see what others do with this. Don't forget you can request any tutorial on any icon I've done, just make a comment.